Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146692 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #1260 on: November 28, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
While everyone is gushing about Snow Live around the net, it seems that the Beard have moved into the mixing and mastering process at Rich Mouser's studio, so it seems that, hopefully, around New Years, we may get some news about SB13! I'm hopeful for a Spring release (maybe around my birthday in March!).

I saw a picture of Nick a week or two ago doing some vocal recordings, though I can't be too sure if it was for BBT or SB, as BBT are about to release a new single next week, but SB13 is on its way to being finished, so who knows. It would be nice to hear some Nick background vocals on the new album, maybe even a lead vocal line or two, but if his voice ISN'T on it at all, I won't be terribly disappointed, but I *love* when SB do vocal harmonies and layered vocal parts, and I'd like to see a return of those on the new album with Ted, Nick, Al and Dave.

What do you guys hope for the next album? A long album (70-80 minutes) or something a bit more concise (50-60 minutes)? More long songs or less? Perhaps a new multi-movement epic?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1261 on: November 28, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
I just hope I like it. As I mentioned a few posts back I was really disappointed in The Oblivion Particle while i LOVED Brief Nocturnes. Hopefully Nick being back will help.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1262 on: November 28, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »
I just hope I like it. As I mentioned a few posts back I was really disappointed in The Oblivion Particle while i LOVED Brief Nocturnes. Hopefully Nick being back will help.

Well, knowing how great BNADS was, I was trying not to keep my expectations high when TOP came out, and I'm glad I didn't. While it doesn't reach the highs that BNADS did, it's a slightly more consistent record for me, averaging out at mostly B+ material across the board, while BNADS features some A+ songs, but also a couple C+ and B- material.

It wasn't poor or under-average for me, just slightly above average, but it definitely didn't hit as high as BNADS and X before it. I'm looking forward to SB13 and hoping they knock it out of the park this time. Some of the clips the band members have posted on FB are promising so far, so I look forward to hearing how they all fit together.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1263 on: November 29, 2017, 01:39:51 AM »
I just hope I like it. As I mentioned a few posts back I was really disappointed in The Oblivion Particle...

As was I - at first. It took a long time for that one to "click", but by God, when it finally did it's a monster. It forces you to rethink what music actually is and can be.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1264 on: November 29, 2017, 03:21:04 AM »
I don't dislike The Oblivion Particle, but I definitely prefer BN&DS of the two Ted-era albums.

As for the new album, whatever they do will be fine, but it'd be cool to have more harmony vocals from the other guys, instead of just Ted overdubbed (as much as I enjoy his voice).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1265 on: November 29, 2017, 06:02:33 AM »
I also hope for NDV to sind a lot. I absolutely love him singing, for me he has the best voice of the three SB frontmen. Alan has a cool voice too imo. Alan, Ted & NDV could produce some killer Gentle Giant stuff (Thoughts). I hope that Nick sings at least 1-2 songs as lead singer.

A multi part epic would be awesome, as long as they manage to compose a good song, rather than just giving 5 separate songs a collective title and reprising one melody at the end.

I liked TOP way better than BN&DS. A Better Way To Fly is one of SBs greatest songs ever. I was, however, a little disappointed that Boegehold composed most of the songs. I am trying not to care since the music is good anyway, but I know that Alan and especially Dave are very able of composing good songs (Jaws Of Heaven!). As is Ted!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1266 on: November 29, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »
The Oblivion Particle is probably better than I think it is (based on how little I now listen to it), but it's so hard for it to stand out as being great when this is the band that gave us The Light, Beware of Darkness, Snow, X and Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep.  For me, it doesn't have a single song that I would say is great or one of their best.  That said, it is still pretty darn consistent.  Every time I listen to it, I enjoy the heck out of it.  It just doesn't have major replay value.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1267 on: December 03, 2017, 05:25:08 AM »
The Oblivion Particle is probably better than I think it is (based on how little I now listen to it), but it's so hard for it to stand out as being great when this is the band that gave us The Light, Beware of Darkness, Snow, X and Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep.  For me, it doesn't have a single song that I would say is great or one of their best.  That said, it is still pretty darn consistent.  Every time I listen to it, I enjoy the heck out of it.  It just doesn't have major replay value.

Bingo.  When I want to play some Beard, TOP isn't the album I think to myself 'yeah, that's the one'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1268 on: December 05, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
My Snow Live Art book finally showed up today and I'm halfway through the Blu-ray.

Wow. Just, wow. Snow isn't even my favorite record of theirs but this is just stellar. Seeing all of them up there performing this beast just gives me all these feelings.

You can just tell how much this meant to the guys. The looks of joy in their faces. There were times where I could see Nick and Alan just lost in the moment.

As much I miss Neal in the Beard, this was the right time to perform this. The combined talent on that stage is just awesome.

I don't know what else to say. Bravo to the boys. This is amazing. Wish I could have been there.

EDIT: Man, Neal during I'm Dying. That performance of one of my absolutes faves I Will Go. And Neal during the finale just breaking down. Such a powerful show.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:35:53 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1269 on: December 09, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
Saw this post on the Facebook SB forum,  posted on Thursday by Randy Stasiak:
"Spock's Beard in the studio at Sweetwater. Three song EP with only 1000 CDs being made. Supposed to be sold through their website. Release date TBA."

Apparently this is apart from the 13th album, which is still being wrapped up.

-Marc.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1270 on: December 10, 2017, 01:24:47 AM »
only 1000 CDs being made.

Oh god, don't do this to me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1271 on: December 11, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »
Update on that 3-song EP - Apparently it was recorded earlier this year when the band were at Sweetwater Studios, and they recorded three older SB songs with the current line-up, including at least "Hiding Out" and "Go The Way You Go", according to one poster in the SB Facebook group.

Despite it being just a re-recordings EP, I'm still itching to buy it. Hearing Ted AND Nick (if he's doing any vocals, which seems likely given they're doing at least ONE much older song) do vocals together should be a treat, and I'd like to hear Nick play "Hiding Out" on drums. It'd be neat if the third song was from the Nick-Era, just to cover all three eras of SB.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1272 on: December 12, 2017, 05:34:52 AM »
Update on that 3-song EP - Apparently it was recorded earlier this year when the band were at Sweetwater Studios, and they recorded three older SB songs with the current line-up, including at least "Hiding Out" and "Go The Way You Go", according to one poster in the SB Facebook group.

Despite it being just a re-recordings EP, I'm still itching to buy it. Hearing Ted AND Nick (if he's doing any vocals, which seems likely given they're doing at least ONE much older song) do vocals together should be a treat, and I'd like to hear Nick play "Hiding Out" on drums. It'd be neat if the third song was from the Nick-Era, just to cover all three eras of SB.

-Marc.

Wow, this is pretty cool! I am very excited for Go The Way You Go, it's a very cool song with (in it's original version) had a terrible sound. The Light is composed brilliantly but produced terribly.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1273 on: December 12, 2017, 06:24:16 AM »
I'm not really missing out then if it's just re-recordings of old songs.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1274 on: December 12, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »

-Marc.

Wow, this is pretty cool! I am very excited for Go The Way You Go, it's a very cool song with (in it's original version) had a terrible sound. The Light is composed brilliantly but produced terribly.

The sound isn't great on The Light but it doesn't bother me that much, the songs are that good. Interested to hear a new version of "Go The Way You Go" one of my all time favorite songs.

Am I the only one here who doesn't love Ted Leonard's vocals? Yes, he is a fantastic singer, I'm just not sure he's he right fit for SB. I love Nick, his performances on Snow Live are worth the price of admission.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1275 on: December 12, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »

It's weird. If they had played the same songs live and recorded it all (at a Snow show, for example) I'd want to hear it for sure. But these are "just" studio recordings, so maybe a curiosity at best. They'd be cool bonus tracks maybe.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1276 on: December 12, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »

It's weird. If they had played the same songs live and recorded it all (at a Snow show, for example) I'd want to hear it for sure. But these are "just" studio recordings, so maybe a curiosity at best. They'd be cool bonus tracks maybe.

These two thoughts sum it up for me as well.  Seems like a pointless release, but I am sure the majority of fans will eat it up.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1277 on: December 13, 2017, 01:41:36 AM »
I like it actually. The current line up will have a cool sound I am sure. And I am excited how the old songs will sound. Although I am way more excited for Go The Way You Go than I am for Hiding Out.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1278 on: December 13, 2017, 08:00:04 AM »
This may be similar to what another band that I follow did. Sweetwater does these couple of day training/info sessions on what it takes to record in the studio. They bring in an established band and have them track a few songs live while training on a board.

Guessing they may have done the same thing with the Beard.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1279 on: December 13, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
Yeah, if it's basically "live in the studio" then that could be really cool.  I'm sure it'll sound great anyway.  Just the idea of re-doing songs from your own catalogue with a different lineup seems weird to me.  But like I said, that's some kind of weird bias I have between studio and live or something, because when you play live, it's obviously whoever's in the band at the time, so it's gonna be different (and probably really good) anyway.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1280 on: December 13, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
This may be similar to what another band that I follow did. Sweetwater does these couple of day training/info sessions on what it takes to record in the studio. They bring in an established band and have them track a few songs live while training on a board.

Guessing they may have done the same thing with the Beard.

For once, I was right. I went back and looked at what The Dead Deads did and then was able to find the page for the Recording Master Class with the Beard.

Look at the link below to see what this was. It's actually pretty neat and I really wanted to go to the one The Dead Deads did but couldn't afford it. They actually invited fans to attend if they could.

https://www.sweetwater.com/events/2017/09/spocks-beard-master-class/

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1281 on: December 16, 2017, 09:19:08 PM »
Ryo posted a clip on Facebook of Ted singing/recording a track that they wrote together for the next album titled "Beginning".

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1282 on: December 17, 2017, 03:19:40 AM »
As 2018 approaches, I'm starting to look forward to some albums that are coming up. This is one of them.  :metal

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1283 on: December 19, 2017, 06:08:52 AM »
Been on a bit of a Spock's kick in recent days. Currently listening to Beware of Darkness. Fantastic album, especially the closing track Time Has Come.