Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146219 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #1225 on: March 31, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »
I feel like I'm one of the few people who doesn't find it weird at all. :lol Compositionally I just see Boegehold as a member of the band.

Make that at least two. Whatever works for the band and sounds good is alright with me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1226 on: April 01, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
Well that's an interesting opinion.

How'd that work out for Queensryche when DeGarmo left?
 :rollin

DeGarmo had a very particular sound with QR and it's definitely missed.

In Degarmo's case, it just wasn't his guitar playing that soured me on the band.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1227 on: April 03, 2017, 06:32:47 AM »
Come on Nick. Come back to the Beard. It's not a full time job. You can do it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1228 on: April 03, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »
Come on Nick. Come back to the Beard. It's not a full time job. You can do it.

Part of me wants to believe that Nick really wants to come back to the band, even if he's only been out of it for 2 albums/6 years, but he's got a job and a band across the Atlantic, so he might be reluctant to put more effort into being with SB beyond just recording drums for their next album. Not everyone can dedicate their every waking moment to playing and recording music with touring bands like Mike Portnoy seems to do.

I'd LOVE to see him come back full-time, but keep Ted as the lead vocalist, and maybe have them do more harmonies and bring back some of those vocal interludes and multi-part vocal sections with Ted and Nick at the front of that. I think if their next album does really well, it might be more convincing for Nick to come back to the Beard full time, so let's hype the hell out of their next album and pre-order the heck out of it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LPMX

« Reply #1229 on: May 04, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »
SB announded on their FB yesterday that NDV would play the Québec City show on september 9th with them. :omg:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1230 on: May 04, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »
F**k. There's a good chance of me being in Europe in that time frame.

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1231 on: June 21, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »
Here's a cool article about a co-worker of mine who is relevant to this thread:

https://www.journalgazette.net/entertainment/music/20170620/a-different-kind-of-gig

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1232 on: June 21, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »
NDV is a co-worker of yours?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1233 on: June 21, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »
NDV is a co-worker of yours?

Yep.  I've been at Sweetwater for 7 years as a Sales Engineer, and I was pretty excited when we brought him on, because, as a drummer myself, it meant we were going to start taking drums more seriously.  When I started at Sweetwater, we had 4 drum lines and 1 cymbal line, and now we're adding new drum gear at a rate that I have to constantly update the drums class I teach for our new hires in Sales. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1234 on: June 21, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »
Pretty cool. :tup The guy's been around a while and is pretty well respected in the biz as far as I can tell.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1235 on: June 26, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
I would love to see Nick return to SB as a full member, but I don't think he's planning to do that anytime soon. We'll see how it goes after the album is released.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1236 on: July 02, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »

https://www.journalgazette.net/entertainment/music/20170620/a-different-kind-of-gig

That's a really sweet article (pardon the pun.) Have to admit Nick dropped of my radar since he was with Cirque. So this is a nice update.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1237 on: July 02, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
I missed this when it was posted last week, but interesting article.  Not surprise that NDV has a great reputation in the industry, considering what a tremendously skillful and tasteful player he is.  Sucks to hear that his back bothers him that much, but years of playing and touring takes its toll. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1238 on: July 03, 2017, 01:15:33 AM »

That's a really sweet article (pardon the pun.) Have to admit Nick dropped of my radar since he was with Cirque. So this is a nice update.

Take a look at the Big Big Train thread, it's his new main band ;) Absolutely loving that band.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1239 on: July 06, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »
How in the world am I only now getting into Spock's Beard's last album "The Oblivion Particle"???  Not sure why I never gave it a chance when it came out (I think actually I was going through an extended phase where I just wasn't into prog too much). 

But this album is awesome!!!  I think I had the song "The Center Line" on repeat for a couple hours at work yesterday.  I don't think there are any songs on there that I don't like. 

Really looking forward to the new album, and Nick being on the album is a sweet bonus!  I loved the Nick era albums (granted I know I'm not hoping for that since the lead singer is different, just saying).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1240 on: July 06, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »
Speaking of SB13, the band is at Sweetwater, along with Rich, and they're recording Nick's drum parts as we speak (well, this week at least). It looks like things are a go for SB13, and assuming they're doing the drums first (as most bands usually do), I can expect the rest of the band doing their parts over the next couple months (since it seems like the samples Nick is playing to are pretty well-developed songs). I suspect we'll get an announcement for the new album by fall, and probably a release date in early 2018. If it comes sooner than that, I would be happily surprised!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1241 on: July 06, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
Speaking of SB13, the band is at Sweetwater, along with Rich, and they're recording Nick's drum parts as we speak (well, this week at least). It looks like things are a go for SB13, and assuming they're doing the drums first (as most bands usually do), I can expect the rest of the band doing their parts over the next couple months (since it seems like the samples Nick is playing to are pretty well-developed songs). I suspect we'll get an announcement for the new album by fall, and probably a release date in early 2018. If it comes sooner than that, I would be happily surprised!

-Marc.

Great news! I'm really looking forward to what this lineup with TL and NDV comes up with. Thanks for the update!  :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1242 on: July 06, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

-Marc.

Great news! I'm really looking forward to what this lineup with TL and NDV comes up with. Thanks for the update!  :tup

No problem! It seems like, at this point, NDV is just doing the drum parts, and likely won't provide any vocals (at least lead vocals), though I would LOVE to be proven wrong. I'd love to hear Nick, Dave, Al, and Ted do those lush SB harmonies the band is so well known for!

As for NDV's drumming, the videos on the SB Facebook are pretty amazing. Nick is firing on all cylinders. The second video, posted earlier today, featured a song that is sure to be an epic piece, written by Ryo, and NDV's drum parts were sounding killer! I love that he's working with them again, even if it's in a temporary fashion, though now that they've got at lest one live show together this fall, I hope they bust out one or two of the new songs before the album comes out!

-Marc

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #1243 on: September 22, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1244 on: September 22, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
Me want now.

Offline gzarruk

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1246 on: September 22, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
Did Neal ever say if the other night MorseFest 2016 will be release at some point?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1247 on: September 22, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »
Unreal.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1248 on: September 22, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
Did Neal ever say if the other night MorseFest 2016 will be release at some point?

Yes  :tup

https://twitter.com/nealmorse/status/907674236155830272

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1249 on: September 22, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
Yeah... me excitey! 

Am I the only one thinking "Dave's the only one talented enough to play his parts by himself?"   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1250 on: September 22, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »
Good lord. Dave's bass tone is just beautiful. Love his mix level too. The louder Dave is, the happier I am.

When I first saw the teaser I dropped $$$$ on the full on super mega deluxe totally bodacious amazing artbook version. I can't give my money away to the Beard quickly enough.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1251 on: September 24, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
I doubt I will buy this.  Even though I like Snow a ton, it's major work to get through the studio album itself, and I fear that the  live concert would be one of those DVDs I watch once and then never again.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1252 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:27 AM »
How do people feel about The Oblivion Particle these days, over 2 years since its release?

Me? It's alright, but it's nowhere near as enjoyable a listen as Brief Nocturnes.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1253 on: September 24, 2017, 10:46:35 AM »
I listened to it once and really disliked it. Too bad, because Brief Nocturnes was probably the best post-Neal album. I thought they were on to something.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1254 on: September 24, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
When I saw the Beard a couple weeks ago in Quebec City they played Hiding Out and Submerged, both from Brief Nocturnes album and nothing from Oblivion Particle... 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1255 on: September 24, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
I still like Oblivion Particle a lot but Nocturnes is slightly better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1256 on: September 24, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »
I think one of the things that made it not good was the fact that, instead of employing the harmonies of everyone during harmony parts, they just overdubbed Ted multiple times (see the intro to Minion). Now, Ted's a wonderful singer, but one of the main things that makes Spock's Beard so awesome is their vocal interplay, whether through harmony or in contrapuntal passages like Thoughts or Afterthoughts.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1257 on: September 24, 2017, 01:35:38 PM »
The Oblivion particle has aged well for me. I went through weird phases with it, since I couldn't get into it at first. For a few months I thought it was fairly average. I even saw the band live and didn't really care for some of the songs. Then several months later, some songs finally klicked and I started returning to the album over and over again. However, it's not an album I play a lot these days. X and Brief nocturnes were fantastic, top three SB material. The Oblivion particle was solid.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1258 on: September 25, 2017, 07:08:47 AM »
How do people feel about The Oblivion Particle these days, over 2 years since its release?

Me? It's alright, but it's nowhere near as enjoyable a listen as Brief Nocturnes.

I agree with this. I love Brief Nocturnes while The Oblivion Particle did nothing for me and I think it's one of their worst albums.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1259 on: September 25, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
When I saw the Beard a couple weeks ago in Quebec City they played Hiding Out and Submerged, both from Brief Nocturnes album and nothing from Oblivion Particle... 

They only played Submerged on the cruise earlier in the year. Reason for this is Nick had just stepped in to help out and he already knew that song as he played on it when it was originally recorded for Ted's solo album. With Nick still being a helpful fill in my guess is they are trying not to create much extra work for him.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1