Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146659 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #1120 on: October 13, 2016, 06:46:13 AM »
MP is always looking for a drumming gig...

Seems silly, but for the amount of time SB is active I would think he could make this work.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1121 on: October 13, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
Maybe MP and SB would actually work. I would think the presence of MP would add a bit to the attendance at SB shows. And he's a fan of the band so, it's not a far fetched idea.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1122 on: October 13, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »
It's a shame they can't make enough to live on. It feels like they should be one of prog's most popular and successful bands. The fact they've managed to keep going for as long as they have, with the member changes and everything, deserves enormous respect.

Agreed.  Once they get a new drummer, it will be their 5th different recording lineup. 

Surprised and sad. Jimmy was such a good fit for SB.

Perhaps, but he won't be difficult to replace.  A solid drummer and decent singer, sure, but by no means hard to replace. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1123 on: October 14, 2016, 02:08:21 AM »
Surprised and sad. Jimmy was such a good fit for SB.

Perhaps, but he won't be difficult to replace.  A solid drummer and decent singer, sure, but by no means hard to replace.

He isn't the most special drummer in the world, so I agree that there are a lot of drummers that could take his place. But you have to find someone who is willing to invest a lot of time and devotion into a band where you apparantly can't make a living playing in that band alone.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1124 on: October 14, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
Jimmy was terrific. I'm sure the replacement will be fantastic as well.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1125 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
His replacement could be...YOU!

https://www.spocksbeard.com/

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1126 on: October 14, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
They should film a docu style video. Audition the greatest drummers in the world. Yadda Yadda
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1127 on: October 14, 2016, 03:24:56 PM »
And then, in a dramatic turn of events, Mike Portnoy becomes the new drummer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1128 on: October 14, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »
Here's an idea of what we're looking for, ideally someone who -

Is a world class drummer
Can groove over shifting time signatures
Has a lead singer quality high tenor voice
Able to sing and play complex stuff at the same time
Preferably in the Los Angeles or Sacramento area or at least close to a major airport (some flexibility on this for the right fit)
Has a flexible schedule that will allow for recording/touring
Is a cool person, not too big an ego, flexible, able to keep a cool head in stressful situations and close quarters
Has a cool hairdo (just kidding)

Looks like Portnoy fails to meet five of the eight requirements. :lol :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1129 on: October 14, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »

Nuggetz

I think it'd be great for the original Spock's lineup to reunite. NDV isn't too busy apparently and Neal Morse seems to be a bit more open to secular music lately. Plus as a business move I reckon it would benefit everyone involved.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1130 on: October 14, 2016, 10:52:43 PM »

Nuggetz

I think it'd be great for the original Spock's lineup to reunite. NDV isn't too busy apparently and Neal Morse seems to be a bit more open to secular music lately. Plus as a business move I reckon it would benefit everyone involved.

I think Nick is pretty committed to BBT these days, and I hear they want to do more than 3 shows a year, so they may end up becoming very busy in the coming years. They have an EP-turned-LP coming out next year (yeah, right after this year's fabulous Folklore, we're getting Grimspound next year), and there's still the 3-disc retrospective re-recordings of older songs that is being worked on, so BBT are quite busy, I think.

And between Neal's solo band, Flying Colors getting together in December, then Neal's solo band touring in the Winter/Spring, then possibly releasing FC3 in the summer and touring on that in the fall, then probably getting together with Transatlantic in late 2017 or early 2018, I'd say Neal is fairly busy himself.

As much as I would love, Love, LOVE to see the Two Separate Gorillas return to the glorious Beard, it's probably not likely. I was thinking about it yesterday, that I'm glad that all 7 of them did those two shows together, both Morsefest, and the one in Europe, doing Snow twice and the encore of "Falling For FOrever", all before Jimmy decided to leave. Definitely a landmark time for the band, but it's sad to see that after Snow, once again, a member has decided to leave to pursue his solo career.

I wonder if any professional, well-known drummers are champing at the bit to audition for SB. I wouldn't mind hearing someone like Thomas Lang drum for them, but his living in Europe probably won't work out for the band.

Does anyone here know any well-known drummers in the LA area that might become potential drummers for SB? I kind of hope they pull a Dream Theater and do an auditions-DVD to include with their next album, which I recall was already in the beginnings of the writing process.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1131 on: October 15, 2016, 12:30:10 AM »
Marco Minnemann :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1132 on: October 15, 2016, 07:51:20 AM »
That list only reminds me how tremendous both Nick and Jimmy were. Spock's Beard drummer needs to be even more of a beast than a Dream Theater drummer, I must say.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1133 on: January 16, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
So, I was just listening to The Doorway from the Voltage festival. I love Ryo, but man, he's kinda a mediocre keyboard player. He botched that piano intro so badly. The tune is such a staple for SB, you'd think he could pull it off in his sleep.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1134 on: January 16, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »
Wasn't he more of a backup keyboardist to Neal originally? I remember watching some live videos and noticing that Neal was always playing the interesting keyboard parts.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1135 on: January 16, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »
Wasn't he more of a backup keyboardist to Neal originally? I remember watching some live videos and noticing that Neal was always playing the interesting keyboard parts.

I think Ryo was originally the organ and mellotron player, while Neal handled lead and pad synth parts, along with piano. It was a pretty decent set-up, and sometimes they would switch things up a bit, but I remember Ryo primarily doing mellotron a lot more than Neal.

I, too, have felt the same about Ryo covering some of Neal's complex piano parts, so if I ever want a live version of "The Doorway", I always go for the version from Don't Try This At Home.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: March 04, 2017, 03:14:50 AM »
So I am watching footage from Cruise To The Edge..

Nick playing drums and he and Ted both handling vox?

Woah
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1137 on: March 05, 2017, 09:08:54 AM »
I loved those videos, and that is a killer line up. It got me hoping Nick would return, but who knows...  ;D

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1138 on: March 05, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »
The band members have been pretty straight-forward about the fact that the band's next drummer will  NOT be Nick, especially since he's been busy with getting Big Big Train off the ground for more shows this and next year. I can't imagine Nick would come back either, despite how amazing that would be.

Or perhaps they could all be trolling us and Nick re-joining the band is exactly what they're doing...

-Marc.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1139 on: March 06, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »
Why would SB need a new drummer? Am I so out of the loop?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1140 on: March 06, 2017, 07:03:49 AM »

Jimmy left and for the cruise Nick filled in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1141 on: March 06, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »

He left late last year permanently. SB is looking for a drummer. It's been very quiet on the SB camp so I'm not sure how much deep into their drum search they are.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1142 on: March 06, 2017, 01:30:09 PM »
It's quiet around them because they're busy making a one hour soap-opera-documentary about the drummer search.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: March 06, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
It's quiet around them because they're busy making a one hour soap-opera-documentary about the drummer search.

Nice try Mangini.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1144 on: March 06, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if it was quiet around them because the band is coming to an end.  I could maybe see them hanging on as a part-time band that does the occasional show like at the cruise, but their days as a full-time band are over.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: March 06, 2017, 07:30:26 PM »
Seeing them live the last 2 years I would think the opposite  Kev. They are really understand live and they seem to still enjoy playing live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1146 on: March 06, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
They love playing live, but at the same time I suspect Kev is correct too. I don't think they fill venues that much anymore, and at this point they've lost 3 members.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: March 06, 2017, 08:04:18 PM »
Oh theres no doubt they don't fill venues but some bands adapt playing small venues.  It's a out going through a new member again for them.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: March 06, 2017, 08:10:51 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if it was quiet around them because the band is coming to an end.  I could maybe see them hanging on as a part-time band that does the occasional show like at the cruise, but their days as a full-time band are over.

You shut your whore mouth!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1149 on: March 06, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »
I doubt they'll call it quits anytime soon. Last I heard, the band's writers were working on new material for their 13th album.

While Nick isn't rejoining the band (so they say), it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't ask Nick to drum on their next album as a session player before finding a new live drummer. Unless Nick also did some vocals...then I'd be pretty suspicious. I mean, it's not like X was the last album Nick was on - apparently Nick played drums for the bonus track cover "Iron Man" on The Oblivion Particle (which also featured the only song with Dave on lead vocals - a Spock's Beard first as far as I know, which means Ryo is the only band member to never have had lead vocals on a song).

-Marc.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1150 on: March 06, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »
Obviously a longshot but it is time for the original band to get back together IMO. If not, then I agree with Kev that they are reaching the end, save for the occasional cruise and festival run.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1151 on: March 07, 2017, 01:20:48 AM »

I got the impression that they are some kind of part-time band for several years. They all do other stuff and if I remember correctly Dave Meros said in an interview years ago that he was playing in a cover band to pay the rent because SB wasn't profitable enough.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1152 on: March 07, 2017, 03:34:01 AM »
That is very sad to hear. But having lost Neal and Nick, two very characteristic and charismatic members are missing in the band. I admire how they always keep going though. So far they have always managed to get back on their feet every time somebody important left the band.
TOP was a good album (better than BN&DS imo) although the mayority of the material was written by Borgehold. Dave Meros has composed some very interesting stuff on the previous albums (especially X), I feel like they haven't reached the point yet where there's no potential in the band anymore.
They have a great singer, a unique guitarist, a crazy keyboard player, a solid-as-a-rock Chris Squire like bass player - with a great drummer they could really create something cool again. Only problem I see is that that guy would want to be payed.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1153 on: March 07, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »
They have a great singer, a unique guitarist, a crazy keyboard player, a solid-as-a-rock Chris Squire like bass player

I should preempt the following with that I used to be a huge fan of SB, but regarding your comment, I must say I can't sign that statement any longer.
I feel SB has suffered a slow drift into mediocrity. Ted Leonard is OK, but he's no Neal in terms of character in his voice, or even Nick (at least for me). Ryo is also OK, but he's actually rather sloppy and somebody should quietly delete the mellotron patch when he's not looking. Alan is ... OK. Unique playing style for sure, but very limited in that.

So, for me, SB has arrived at a point where all of them are OK, but neither really pulls the weight towards greatness.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1154 on: March 07, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
I strongly disagree because the last two records with Ted were better than most of the NDV fronted records, only X was better.

And for me:

V was the best Neal fronted record
X was the best Nick fronted record, so they have to at least stick together till they can release
XV and it will be the best Ted fronted record

:biggrin: