Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146670 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #1085 on: September 22, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
Took the chance and went off to Budapest yesterday to see Spock's Beard. Great concert like every single time. Spock's Beard has turned out to be my go-to band whenever I want to see some well performed catchy prog rock live. I'm really liking Ted as the "new" frontman, the band chemistry looks fantastic and you can see the guys are having the time of their lives.

I only had a slight issue with the set list. Even though I love the new SB stuff, having only three songs from the first ten albums was a bit too much. The other thing is, they seem to be playing shorter shows nowadays. When I saw them on X tour, they played for almost two and a half hours, and this show was an hour and fifty minutes. That's probably my high expectations, though, they set the bar very high. It's a shame they cut Hell's not enough from the set list, that's a tremendous song.

Nevertheless, it was a great show and there was plenty more people in the audience than last year, which is hopefully a good sign.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1086 on: October 03, 2015, 03:30:31 AM »
London show last night was blistering. I love this band!
Al was on fire, despite a few tech problems, Ted really seems to have settled into the part, and had a great chemistry with the other guys. Only downside was the truly awful Synathesia as opening act (sorry guys...)

Setlist:
Tides of Time
On A Perfect Day
Hell's Not Enough
The Good Don't Last/The Radiant Is
Minion
A Better Way To Fly
Afterthoughts
To Be Free Again
June
Waiting For Me
-----------
Bennett Built a Time Machine (very short acoustic version)
The Water
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1087 on: November 06, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
Radiant Records' Facebook Page has updated with a sneak peak at the new SB epic to end all epics, featuring vocals from Neal, Nick and Ted!!!

Cannot wait to get this compilation for the new epic, but also to hear the remasters from Rich of the selected tracks! Gonna be spinning this one in my car the rest of the year when it comes out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1088 on: November 06, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
London show last night was blistering. I love this band!
Al was on fire, despite a few tech problems, Ted really seems to have settled into the part, and had a great chemistry with the other guys. Only downside was the truly awful Synathesia as opening act (sorry guys...)

Setlist:
Tides of Time
On A Perfect Day
Hell's Not Enough
The Good Don't Last/The Radiant Is
Minion
A Better Way To Fly
Afterthoughts
To Be Free Again
June
Waiting For Me
-----------
Bennett Built a Time Machine (very short acoustic version)
The Water

The Water?! Have they just started playing that or has it been done before that (without Neal)?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline emtee

« Reply #1089 on: February 19, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »
https://www.radiantrecords.com/default.aspx

Let the Snow speculation begin.

Possibly a reunion show for Snow in it's entirety?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1090 on: February 19, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »
Called this last year, that the next MORSEFEST will feature SNOW in its entirety, hopefully with the whole current band, Neal, and Nick as well.

They can play all of Snow one night, then a reverse-chronological set the other night, ending with an epic performance of "The Light" (because you gotta), then an epic encore of "Falling For Forever" with all 7 band members on stage!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1091 on: February 20, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
Hi, guys. Only Spock's Beard song I heard is Crack the Big Sky and I love it so I wanted to ask what's good place to start with their music? Actually, I also checked one live video on Youtube and don't remember which songs they played but I liked it. So, recommend me album or two :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1092 on: February 20, 2016, 05:35:54 PM »
Crack the Big Sky is from Day for Night, which is the consensus least best album from the Neal Morse era, so I wouldn't start with that.

If you don't mind getting the epics right away, start with V or The Light.

If you want a nice mix of catchy shorter tunes and mini-epics, go with with Beware of Darkness or the Kindness of Strangers.

For the post-Neal stuff, X and Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep are the best ones.

Enjoy the ride you are about to get on. :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1093 on: February 20, 2016, 11:19:49 PM »
Counterpoint:  Day for Night is still a very good album.  I started with it because I got it for cheap, and I liked it, and it only got better and better for me as I filled out the back catalogue.

Also, I love "Crack the Big Sky" too.  Great song. ♫♫

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1094 on: February 21, 2016, 07:20:21 AM »
Oh, I agree that Crack the Big Sky is a great tune, but I just think that someone starting off with DfN is not a good idea, since tracks 2 and 3 are total duds, and you'd rather have someone start off with an album that is filled with nothing but good tunes. But that's me. :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1095 on: February 21, 2016, 08:18:50 PM »
I guess.  I don't consider any of the tracks to be total duds; I kinda like "Giberish".  I didn't know much about the band at the time, other than that one of the guys was in Transatlantic, so I picked it up and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of it.  I suppose if I'd gone into it expecting some mind-blowing experience, I'd have been disappointed.  I was just offering up the counterpoint to those saying that Day for Night isn't a good choice as a starting point.  It was mine, and it worked out really well.  It was accessible enough to grab me, yet had enough meat to it to make me want to check out the rest of their catalogue.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1096 on: February 22, 2016, 02:20:37 AM »
Day For Night isn't really bad, it's just not as good as some others. But I think it's a good starting point, because then you can still experience the highlights. If you start with the best them, everything that follows will pale in comparison.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1097 on: February 22, 2016, 03:58:33 AM »
I think Skin is fairly catchy and Gibberish is one of their most awesome songs in terms of vocals. The Gypsy and Can't get it wrong, now those are two duds on the album.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: February 22, 2016, 07:32:49 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1099 on: February 22, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »
Oh, I agree that Crack the Big Sky is a great tune, but I just think that someone starting off with DfN is not a good idea, since tracks 2 and 3 are total duds, and you'd rather have someone start off with an album that is filled with nothing but good tunes. But that's me. :biggrin:

There is nothing wrong with starting @ DfN ... I did, and it's still a top 3 SB album for me - even though I know in my heart of hearts, it is - as you say - the least-best from the Neal Era.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1100 on: February 27, 2016, 02:30:32 PM »

There is nothing wrong with starting @ DfN ... I did, and it's still a top 3 SB album for me - even though I know in my heart of hearts, it is - as you say - the least-best from the Neal Era.

I'd say it's their most accessible album.  Great tracks on Day For Night.  Skin, Crack The Big Sky, Can't Get It Wrong.  The Healing Colors Of Sound suite (especially live) is damn amazing.  Al is all over it.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1101 on: February 27, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
I picked The Kindness of Strangers first and I like it :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1102 on: February 27, 2016, 03:34:20 PM »
I picked The Kindness of Strangers first and I like it :tup

Another great one.  I love the vibe on those early albums.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1103 on: July 25, 2016, 04:54:30 PM »
Very nice videos with a great audio quality from the gig at Night of the Prog:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHemaK7FgeU (first record)
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMB4pUpDOjI (second record)
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpCIt2NaQs  (Falling For Forever)

Unfortunately, Ted is kinda left out and the guy uses pics in the end instead of letting the video roll on. But as I said: the audio is very good.

Btw: Jimmy lost the drum battle by far...  ;)
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: July 26, 2016, 07:31:02 AM »
Btw: Jimmy lost the drum battle by far...  ;)

Everyone lost out. Drum battles are (historically) boring as heck.
 :millahhhh

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1105 on: October 12, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »
Sad news...

"From the band: We regret to announce that Jimmy Keegan has resigned from Spock's Beard to pursue other interests. Jimmy has been a key member of the SB family since 2003, and his unique contribution will be sorely missed. His talents as a drummer and vocalist are world class, unsurpassed. We wish Jimmy well and look forward to what he's going to come up with next - Dude, you're the best!"

Looks like the next album will be SB version 4.0, featuring whoever they get to replace Jimmy.

-Marc.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1106 on: October 12, 2016, 12:09:02 PM »
Is NDV still doing Cirque Du Soleil?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1107 on: October 12, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »

I don't think so, but he's pretty busy with Big Big Train.

-Marc.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1108 on: October 12, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »
Fuck.  :|
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: October 12, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »
Super sad for this.  I get it though, they don't tour enough or attract a big enough crowd for this to be a living.

I hope the rest will carry on with a new drummer (or old drummer, hint hint NDV!).  So many line-up changes would be the death of a lot of other bands.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: October 12, 2016, 12:24:39 PM »
From Jimmy's Facebook:

Quote from: jimmy keegan
Hey Kids! So ... In 2003 I was asked to join Spock's Beard. I had been toying with the idea of putting my own band together but this seemed a safer route as well as an honorable one. Nick had become the singer and they needed a drummer who could sing (especially the high bits) as well as play the often complex parts that Nick had crafted so well. The fit seemed perfect. Almost too perfect! I became the touring drummer while Nick played alongside and in the studio. Some time later, Nick would get a call to join Cirque du Soleil and he decided to take the offer, as I would've as well. I became the full time drummer and tracked two fantastic records as well as some great tours and shows. The idea of my own band was still nagging. I started to humor it and raised some money in a campaign but the schedule has proven extremely difficult and I have been way too slow to produce this first album. I should've been doing this long ago. For this reason, I have stepped down as the drummer for Spock's Beard and will be putting all my efforts into my own project. Oh sure, I will continue doing sessions, gigs and short tours but my daily focus will now be ... well, myself. For those who contributed, I can't thank you enough for your patience. For SB fans, you will be in good hands. Look to the guys for announcements of what is to come.
Definitely not an easy decision but a necessary one. Thanks for your support and thanks to Spock's Beard for allowing me to be a part of such a fantastic band for so long.
Stay tuned!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1111 on: October 12, 2016, 12:34:09 PM »

I don't think so, but he's pretty busy with Big Big Train.

-Marc.

NDV's full time gig is at Sweetwater, where teaches, demos products, among other things.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: October 12, 2016, 12:47:48 PM »

NDV's full time gig is at Sweetwater, where teaches, demos products, among other things.

His "demo" videos on youtube make him seem so sad. "I've sold my soul for this..." I think when I see him saying how cool an electric drum pad set is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1113 on: October 12, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »
Dammit.  I love Jimmy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1114 on: October 12, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »
Very honorable reasons. I hope it works out for him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1115 on: October 12, 2016, 07:09:03 PM »
Can't say I am surprised; playing in Spock's these days can't be a money-making endeavor.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1116 on: October 12, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
Neither is a program drummer going for a new music project.  Just do what makes you happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1117 on: October 12, 2016, 11:37:45 PM »
Surprised and sad. Jimmy was such a good fit for SB.

Can't see him making that more money with his own band although I wish him all the best and I'm interested what he's coming up with. But then SB doesn't seem to be active for long periods of time, why can't he (and others) have both?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1118 on: October 13, 2016, 04:42:02 AM »
It's a shame they can't make enough to live on. It feels like they should be one of prog's most popular and successful bands. The fact they've managed to keep going for as long as they have, with the member changes and everything, deserves enormous respect.

All the best to Jimmy in future endeavours. He's a fine drummer and (as BBATM proved) a great singer.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1119 on: October 13, 2016, 06:05:08 AM »
MP is always looking for a drumming gig...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."