Author Topic: The Depressed/Angry Thread.  (Read 254258 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Depressed/Angry Thread.
« Reply #1820 on: February 20, 2017, 05:17:03 PM »
As predicted I'm going to suggest therapy and not drinking like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: February 20, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
Sorry to hear about all the troubles Jay. Therapy will do wonders. Not drinking will be an immediate help, not only on your mental health but also physically.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1822 on: February 21, 2017, 04:18:07 AM »
So my cousin recommended a place (she isn't local so it was just via searches she found it), and I mentioned my shit I am going through to one of my closest friends, and he recommended the same place. So I think next week I'll call start looking into it.

I'll admit... the idea scares the shit out of me, but also intrigues me. I was in therapy in my early teens for ADHD and possible depression, and I really didn't like it as the therapist literally divulged everything I fucking said to my stepmother, who was making me go. But I kinda almost got into a car accident last night on my way home from work. A combination of just being emotion to the point where I was numb, plus getting off of a 12 hour shift, and not having eaten in 25 hours, I kinda just zoned out and took a turn too hard, in the rain, and spun out. That's kinda also an eye opener.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: February 21, 2017, 06:31:04 AM »
Best of luck Jay. Also if you don't think you like a therapist for whatever reason you can always look for another. Some people just don't click with their therapist.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: February 26, 2017, 04:46:07 PM »
So I am doing a bad thing and putting off seeing someone till next month. The reason being that I may still be eligible for help through the court system, (my dad's death and all).. I have another day in court regarding that on March 20 (ironically what woulda been my dad's 63rd birthday)... So i am going to look into it then.

Also.. I haven't drank in a few days. So yea. I'm going to try to stay away from that.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

« Reply #1825 on: February 26, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
So I am doing a bad thing and putting off seeing someone till next month. The reason being that I may still be eligible for help through the court system, (my dad's death and all).. I have another day in court regarding that on March 20 (ironically what woulda been my dad's 63rd birthday)... So i am going to look into it then.

Also.. I haven't drank in a few days. So yea. I'm going to try to stay away from that.

You're doing just fine with all of that. You're trying to make the best decision for yourself financially and you're still looking into it all, that's not a bad thing at all.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1826 on: February 26, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »

I'm going to suggest the opposite.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: February 26, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »

Go on

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

« Reply #1828 on: February 26, 2017, 08:50:47 PM »

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or contrary because it's me, but actually suggesting someone not seek any help and just drink more alcohol is very dangerous.

Jay's an adult and can make his own decisions, but please show a little responsibility.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1829 on: February 26, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »

Go on

There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks to relax yourself, but at the end of the day you need to man up and deal with the situation.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1830 on: February 26, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »
Having a few drinks after a hard day to relax and drinking a lot to numb out depression are not the same thing and you know it.

He wasn't talking about relaxing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1831 on: February 26, 2017, 10:36:41 PM »
Where did I say it's the same thing? Stop focusing on what I'm saying because you have a shitty habit of misconstruing it. All I said was that it's okay to have a few drinks but at the end of the day the problem needs to be dealt with. How is that so impossible to understand? I made no mention of approving of what he's doing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1832 on: February 26, 2017, 10:37:39 PM »
I said to stop drinking to the extent that he was and to seek help. You literally said to do the opposite. The opposite is excessive drinking and not seeking help. I didn't misconstrue anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: February 26, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
Guys.

I should have put the go on in green.

and on the topic of drinking.. as I've gotten "older" I've noticed such a difference in my drinking.. depression drinking vs social drinking. I'm gonna stay away from alcohol for a little bit.. but if say.. I found myself at a bar with my buddy or something.. I'd get shitfaced with out second thought.

Addiction runs in my family. My mother was an alcoholic. Ok.. is an alcoholic. That's why the depression drinking scares me.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

« Reply #1834 on: February 26, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
THIS ISN'T ABOUT YOU JAY!

Sorry, had to.

But I think that's a really good insight to have. I've worked with a lot of addicts, and I can tell you that insight into why you drink is one of the most important things someone can have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: February 26, 2017, 11:44:09 PM »
I've always tried to be so self aware of everything. I may have shitty self-worth and self-identity, but I am at least self aware. That's why, (and I'm getting real here)... I'm still alive. The times in my life where I've had thoughts of ending things.. I've been aware enough of myself and my life to know that that isn't the best of ideas. It's a big commitment and I have commitment issues.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1836 on: February 27, 2017, 02:02:18 AM »
I said to stop drinking to the extent that he was and to seek help. You literally said to do the opposite. The opposite is excessive drinking and not seeking help. I didn't misconstrue anything.

shhhh

Offline Cable

« Reply #1837 on: February 27, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
Yeah I'm with Adami, being in the same/related professional field.

Addiction in its many forms is not really a moderation game. Especially if it's "depressed drinking" as JayO said, vs. "social" drinking. For someone in addiction, having a few is not a good long-term healthy option. And addiction isn't limited to just booze, street drugs, caffeine, gambling and tobacco. It permeates into many other realms, with gambling being an example. I also extend using unhealthy coping to beyond addiction, and to procrastination and trying to ignore problems via doing something else. And the unhealthy things we pick often activate the fun brain chemicals more effectively.

An internal bargaining process begins as I tell my clients/patients. For example; (self talk) time 1- just one beer, you deserve it. Really hard day, real hard event. That's it. 2- dude, that beer was awesome the other day. I bet having two will makes things even easier, and better. Then that's it. 3-well hey, I did fine with those two. Johnny has some weed, how about a coupe of beers and weed?

It then goes on and on. If someone can manage it, drink whatever amount, then deal with the problem. Then deal with the problem more.

I do not think Adami was getting at being judgmental about JayO's drinking, or the act of drinking anyway.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:20:32 PM by CableX »
---

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1838 on: July 30, 2017, 04:46:08 AM »
It's actually refreshing that this thread has been inactive for so long.  Bumping, in case The Count missed this thread.

My depression has been ... dormant ... for a while - ironically, since I became unemployed.  Hope everyone else that frequents this thread is doing well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: July 30, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »
Define "well" :lol

Glad it's been dormant for you Chad. It's nice to breath once and a while and not feel the weight of... something something poetic something...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: July 30, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »

No, you (everyone really) are responsible for defining it yourself.  My "well" may not be anyone else's "well".
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1841 on: July 30, 2017, 04:19:36 PM »
It's actually refreshing that this thread has been inactive for so long.  Bumping, in case The Count missed this thread.

My depression has been ... dormant ... for a while - ironically, since I became unemployed.  Hope everyone else that frequents this thread is doing well.

I've got to say Chad work is the biggest culprit that causes many issues for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: July 30, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »

No, you (everyone really) are responsible for defining it yourself.  My "well" may not be anyone else's "well".

Fucking deep man. Deep.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: July 30, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »

I've got to say Chad work is the biggest culprit that causes many issues for me.

Work was a huge burden for me for quite some time.  Relieving that burden allowed me to focus on other things that helped me address my depression - reading, exercising, more time with/for the jingle.family etc...  The real effort will come when I get back to a job/career, and how much I can balance everything.

Fucking deep man. Deep.

Well....  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #1844 on: August 08, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »
I'm generally a pretty calm dude. It takes a lot to make me upset. I'm rather understanding and don't hold grudges.

So......

I'm on summer break for August from school (getting my doctorate in psychology) and was having fun after an awful summer semester with a horrible spiteful teacher. I was pretty confident I passed and I was happy to be done with it.

So then Friday I got an e-mail saying I was officially accused of cheating on the final exam by this dude.

Then I got a call from the girl who I was supposed to have cheat off of, and she's being accused of plagiarism.

Turns out there's 7 of us being accused of various things and he wants to fail all of us. So, naturally, people were pretty pissed off. Me? I was nervous, but not angry. Maybe the dude really thought I cheated. I get it, we're all human, we make mistakes. As long as I can argue that I didn't.

But then today I saw his score on my final paper. Dude gave ma C. Now is this such a crime? Nah. Maybe he just hated my paper despite never getting below a B on a paper in the past 5 years. But sure.

However, there's a catch. He allowed anyone to send him the paper ahead of time, get his feedback and make changes before final submission. Cool!

So I sent it off, and he wrote back saying it was a good paper, and looked good. Told me to make a few minor changes, which I did, all of them. Then he gives me a C.

NOW I'm pissed. That is not cool. You don't say it's good and then mark me off for stuff you never mentioned before.

Prettttttty close to killing Jay right now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: August 08, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »

I totally wouldn't mind.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cable

« Reply #1846 on: August 08, 2017, 08:37:34 PM »
I'm generally a pretty calm dude. It takes a lot to make me upset. I'm rather understanding and don't hold grudges.

So......

I'm on summer break for August from school (getting my doctorate in psychology) and was having fun after an awful summer semester with a horrible spiteful teacher. I was pretty confident I passed and I was happy to be done with it.

So then Friday I got an e-mail saying I was officially accused of cheating on the final exam by this dude.

Then I got a call from the girl who I was supposed to have cheat off of, and she's being accused of plagiarism.

Turns out there's 7 of us being accused of various things and he wants to fail all of us. So, naturally, people were pretty pissed off. Me? I was nervous, but not angry. Maybe the dude really thought I cheated. I get it, we're all human, we make mistakes. As long as I can argue that I didn't.

But then today I saw his score on my final paper. Dude gave ma C. Now is this such a crime? Nah. Maybe he just hated my paper despite never getting below a B on a paper in the past 5 years. But sure.

However, there's a catch. He allowed anyone to send him the paper ahead of time, get his feedback and make changes before final submission. Cool!

So I sent it off, and he wrote back saying it was a good paper, and looked good. Told me to make a few minor changes, which I did, all of them. Then he gives me a C.

NOW I'm pissed. That is not cool. You don't say it's good and then mark me off for stuff you never mentioned before.

:tdwn
This guy can go eat a bag. Yeah that's futzing ridonkulous Adami. From my perspective, plagiarism isn't on the table in doctorate programs. But for this guy to look to fail people, when people do well, is a failure on him. I always take teaching and instructing as if people cannot pass or do well, that's my fault for not making is understandable as possible. This is all beyond that for this guy from the sounds of it. And I never get that how some professors take pride in X% of people fail my class.

Did this guy just get denied tenure or something, and is taking it out on everyone?
---

Offline Adami

« Reply #1847 on: August 08, 2017, 08:42:48 PM »
Oh yea, so he is not even a licensed psychologist yet. He graduated not too long ago but hasn't taken the exam yet.

And this is his first year teaching and they made him a core faculty. Dude has never taught a day in his life and he became a core faculty for a doctoral level psychology program?

I didn't even mention just how awful of a teacher he is and that we had no choice but to take him. We all took him last semester too and filed a ton of complaints against him for his teaching. Dude is untouchable for some reason. No idea why.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: August 08, 2017, 08:43:36 PM »
Fuck that dude. Seriously.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

« Reply #1849 on: August 08, 2017, 08:49:54 PM »

With a razor lined dildo? Sure!

So in 9 days I have a disciplinary meeting to determine what happens.

This COULD result in me failing the test, losing 5000 dollars in aid that I wouldn't have had to repay, having to stay in school another year to retake the class (presumably with the same teacher), and lose the possibility of an APA approved internship, thus essentially ruining my entire academic future.

Thanks dude. Glad you feel powerful now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Enitan

« Reply #1850 on: January 18, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »
Is it really true that medical marijuana can help you combat stress? I have been reading some of this article that marijuana can help them cope with stress and it helps them relax. I haven't tried using marijuana but i plan to to help me with my stress but i dont know where to start. Can anyone give me any info that can help? Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:23:56 PM by Enitan »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1851 on: January 18, 2018, 10:35:09 PM »
Interesting first post...

I'd say it's against the forum rules to seek advice concerning illicit drugs, but I'm in Cali and weed is legal here now, so I guess it isn't illicit anymore. :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1852 on: January 19, 2018, 03:41:47 AM »
Is it really true that medical marijuana can help you combat stress? I have been reading some of this article that marijuana can help them cope with stress and it helps them relax. I haven't tried using marijuana but i plan to to help me with my stress but i dont know where to start. Can anyone give me any info that can help? Thanks!!

It's like booze - having a drink with a few friends at a bar or at a party is a great idea and a wonderful social lubricant. If you're drinking every day, or when you're alone, or to cope with the stresses of the day, then you've got a problem.
The fact you say you're thinking of it as a way to combat stress makes me say don't. Make time to relax and de-stress. Try listening to some relaxing music, have a nice mug of warm milk, have a long soak in a hot bath. Hell, try the old "gentleman's one-handed relaxation technique". They're all better ways to relax and de-stress.
The fact you asked the question means you already know the answer.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1853 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:15 AM »

With a razor lined dildo? Sure!

So in 9 days I have a disciplinary meeting to determine what happens.

This COULD result in me failing the test, losing 5000 dollars in aid that I wouldn't have had to repay, having to stay in school another year to retake the class (presumably with the same teacher), and lose the possibility of an APA approved internship, thus essentially ruining my entire academic future.

Thanks dude. Glad you feel powerful now.

What was the outcome of this story? What happened at the disciplinary meeting?

I once worked with a guy who sounds similar to the one you descibed. Full of issues and fears, which he 'fought' against by manipulating people through the silly positions of 'authority' he would covet.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1854 on: January 25, 2018, 10:13:04 AM »

It's like booze - having a drink with a few friends at a bar or at a party is a great idea and a wonderful social lubricant. If you're drinking every day, or when you're alone, or to cope with the stresses of the day, then you've got a problem.
The fact you say you're thinking of it as a way to combat stress makes me say don't. Make time to relax and de-stress. Try listening to some relaxing music, have a nice mug of warm milk, have a long soak in a hot bath. Hell, try the old "gentleman's one-handed relaxation technique". They're all better ways to relax and de-stress.
The fact you asked the question means you already know the answer.

Yeah, I agree with this.  If I came on here and said "yeah, having a rough patch - kids, wife, job - and thinking of pounding a fifth of vodka or scotch, which would you go with?"  I'd hope at least one kind, rational soul says "Hey, look, enjoy your liquor but you might want to rethink your strategy here...".   

Fix your stress, don't just put a bandaid on it.