Author Topic: Jeff Buckley  (Read 10816 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Jeff Buckley
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »
Oh is it?  I just remember getting it off the net at some point. I bought G&H in a bargain bin at real groovy along with some SikTh albums so it's fairly obvious which albums got the most attention.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 06:44:32 PM »
Arcaeus casts Resurrection

I just bought the 3-disc version of Live At Sin-é :hat it's incredible - I've heard some people declare it more essential than Grace, and I feel inclined to agree.

I also got Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk. The first disc is amazing and definitely lived up to Grace, and though the second is messier and a bit harder to swallow it has plenty of great tracks.

Why did he have to die :'(

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
I picked up his Live at Chicago DVD for $2.00 at a flea market the other day after having heard nothing but Hallelujah. It's certainly interesting, and the guy's very talented, but I'm not quite sure what to think yet.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »
I picked up his Live at Chicago DVD for $2.00 at a flea market the other day after having heard nothing but Hallelujah. It's certainly interesting, and the guy's very talented, but I'm not quite sure what to think yet.

I've never even heard of that :sad:

Listen to Lover, You Should've Come Over, Last Goodbye, Grace, and Everybody Here Wants You.

Oh, and I just heard Forget Her for the first time today. I think... it's my favorite :hefdaddy behind only maybe Lover.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »

I've never even heard of that :sad:

Listen to Lover, You Should've Come Over, Last Goodbye, Grace, and Everybody Here Wants You.

Oh, and I just heard Forget Her for the first time today. I think... it's my favorite :hefdaddy behind only maybe Lover.
Sorry, it's actually Live in Chicago.

https://www.amazon.com/Jeff-Buckley-Live-Chicago/dp/0738900672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277342617&sr=8-1

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
Grace is one of the few albums that I enjoy listening from start to finish.

"Lilac Wine" is one of his best covers. I haven't heard the original, true, but oh my God if I'm in love with that song.

And has anyone else noted how the intro to "Eternal Love" resembles immensely to Led Zeppelin. He sure loved that band. Also, has this song been played in a "Smallville" soundtrack? Because once the song kicks in, that's the first thing that comes into my mind. It must be that he was truly ahead of his time, because that type of rock (in this song) started to kick in the 2000s. Musically he was a genius, but at swimming...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »
This is my favorite compliment anybody ever said about Jeff.

The album that I've been listening to for the last 18 months is Grace by Jeff Buckley. He is a great, great singer. He has such an emotional range, doing songs by Benjamin Britten and Leonard Cohen as well as his own - such technique and command. When the Page/Plant tour hit Australia, we saw them and we were knocked out. It was very moving. Someone heckled him from the audience - 'Stop playing that heavy stuff!' - but he made the perfect reply: 'Music should be like making love - sometimes you want it soft and tender, other times you want it hard and aggressive.' I felt he paid us a great compliment with his music in that style.

Jimmy Page – Guitarist from Led Zeppelin/The Yardbirds/solo from Mojo Magazine, January 1997
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
I also got Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk. The first disc is amazing and definitely lived up to Grace, and though the second is messier and a bit harder to swallow it has plenty of great tracks.
Yeah, aside from Satisfied Mind, I never listen to the second disc, it's too rough for me.

Dare I say it, probably my favourite track on Sketches is You and I. There's almost nothing there but his voice, but that's clearly what he was going for. At least, I really hope he wasn't planning to add anything more to it, cos it's perfect as it is. His singing creates the entire piece. It feels very complete to me.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 12:07:22 AM »
Holy shit! "Yard of Blonde Girls" is amazing!!!

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2010, 01:48:03 AM »

I just bought the 3-disc version of Live At Sin-é :hat it's incredible - I've heard some people declare it more essential than Grace, and I feel inclined to agree.

Live at Sin-é is amazing indeed, some great stuff on there.

I got the Vinyl of Grace a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if I will ever get enough of that album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2010, 02:10:23 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=206120129626&topic=10958

i'd love to read some more news about that. December 2010 was the reported projection, but at this point, December 2011 sounds closer to when it'll actually come out.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2010, 03:53:43 AM »

Yeah the legacy edition of Sin-e is fantastic.  So much awesome material. 

I quite like Sketches, Vancouver is probably my favourite track.  Then there's Nightmares by the Sea which is awesome.  And Witches Rave is pretty cool.  Jeff wears his love for The Smiths on his sleeves on that track!  The second disc is pretty much just made up of raw demos, takes a while to get into but its worth it.  His cover of Back in NYC is pretty awesome.  Pretty ballsy for just guitar and voice.

I think Mojo Pin is the definitive Buckley composition.  It just has everything that Jeff was all about, soft moments, moments that kick you right in the teeth, soaring vocals, whispers, unique guitar sounds and chord voicings.  I love that song so much.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
Jeff Buckley singing "I Shall Be Released" over the phone

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxIbLf-7ig

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2010, 05:10:07 PM »
He was my favorite!  Grace is one of my favorite albums.  The title track is a breathtaking song, as well as Dream Brother.  I also like the B-side, Forget Her, a whole lot.

Honestly, this guy made such incredible music with just a voice and a guitar.  I love Sin-e, how he can be so sincere one moment and then so goofy the next.  And he could do so much with a cover song!  What a voice!

At least we have one album (I have on Vinyl) and it is in my favorite 3.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2010, 04:41:11 AM »
Jeff Buckley singing "I Shall Be Released" over the phone

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxIbLf-7ig
There is also a full version of that on Sin-é.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2010, 12:36:20 PM »
Listening to Grace for the first time ever. Can't believe I've never bothered to listen to it, what a great album (so far)!

Also never realised what a big vocal influence he clearly was on Daniel Gildenlow.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »
 :tup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:12 PM »
Listening to Grace for the first time ever. Can't believe I've never bothered to listen to it, what a great album (so far)!

Also never realised what a big vocal influence he clearly was on Daniel Gildenlow.

Yeah that was the first two things I thought too. Unbelievable why I never took the time to fully listen to it.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2010, 02:17:15 PM »

Take out "Eternal Life" and it is a perfect album.  I like that song, it's just not quite up to par, it gets a bit annoying.

Corpus Christi Carol is an amazing rendition, also!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »

Take out "Eternal Life" and it is a perfect album.  I like that song, it's just not quite up to par, it gets a bit annoying.

Corpus Christi Carol is an amazing rendition, also!

I reckon swap out Lilac Wine instead, gah thats a snoozefest.  And the road version of Eternal Life is much better.

I can't believe how awesome this album is.  Hearing Mojo Pin into Grace is like the pinnacle of songwriting excellence.  *gushes*

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
I actually very much like Lilac Wine.  It's mellow and haunting.  I tend to like his more simple tunes.  Last Goodbye, also, is a nice and catchy pop song but I think it's a bit overhyped.  I mean, if there's a best song for Jeff Buckley it would rather be Grace or Dream Brother.  Mojo Pin is a thousand times better live, also, especially in the Chicago recording  :hefdaddy

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »
Dream Brother is amazing. I like the studio version of Mojo Pin for Lucas' guitar work. So awesomely atmospheric.  Jeff was able to breathe so much life into these songs live though. I've yet to see someone perform with that much emotion; it feels like he could just go off the rails at any moment. So intense!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2010, 06:57:36 PM »
The climax in 'Grace' is still in my top 10 favorite moments in music, ever. He sounds like he's been obsessed by demons and is trying to get them out. Or something. Anyway, it's freakin' amazing. I've heard the countless times, and there hasn't been one occasion without me getting shivers.

Jeff Buckley was a genius and one of my (and my band's) foremost influences. Sketches is awesome too.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
He sounds like he's been obsessed by demons and is trying to get them out. Or something.

Thats a pretty good description, I know what you mean.  There are so many moments like that, especially in his live recordings; like his ranting on Dream Brother and Eternal Life.  He could go from beautiful and haunting to evil and terrifying in the blink of an eye.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
Ugh Grace is just such a good album. After listening a few times on Spotify I decided I needed an actual copy, so popped to the shops after work and HMV had it for £4. :D

Gonna have to give Sketches a listen at some point.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
I feel like his guitar playing is way overshadowed by his singing.  I think he was a fantastic player!  Not as much in the skill level as the melodic sense he had in the instrument.  I've never heard someone bring so much out of a simple clean electric guitar.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 04:15:28 PM »
Yeah, he uses some pretty awesome chord voicings as well.  And Strange Fruit on Sin E shows he has some pretty decent solo chops.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »
Ugh Grace is just such a good album. After listening a few times on Spotify I decided I needed an actual copy, so popped to the shops after work and HMV had it for £4. :D

Gonna have to give Sketches a listen at some point.
Be sure to give 'Live at Sin-é' a listen. It's also on Spotify, and it's amazing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2010, 06:55:19 AM »
I never really understood all the love for Jeff Buckley. Maybe I should give Grace another spin at some point.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2010, 07:09:33 AM »
I never really understood all the love for Jeff Buckley. Maybe I should give Grace another spin at some point.

You should.  Pay special attention to the title track and Dream Brother...

Kayo dot was greatly influenced by him, also ;)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »
I reckon swap out Lilac Wine instead, gah thats a snoozefest.
Oh no you didn't.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »
I reckon swap out Lilac Wine instead, gah thats a snoozefest.
Oh no you didn't.

I did.  I don't see what's so amazing about it when you've got slices of fried gold like Dream Brother, Mojo Pin and Grace on either side of it.  Overshadowed by the grandeur. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »
Listening to Live at Sin-e now for the first time. 'Be Your Husband' sounds very cool with only stamps, claps and JB singing. Sick performance.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »
I'm listening to it for the first time right now as well. I'm most of the way through though, at The Way Young Lovers Do.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »
Live at Sin-é is so awesome :heart.